Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

June 28, 2010

Double Whammy

My husband is a volunteer fireman.

And yesterday was a very exciting day!

We had a benefit dinner planned for our local fire department.  It was to be held at the fairgrounds from 11:00 - 2:00. 

Well, yesterday  morning LB got a call from the fire department at 6:30 AM.  It turned out to be a structure fire.  Wouldn't you know it, the one time the firemen tried to do something outside of fighting fires, they would be thrown off schedule by a fire!

They came in straight from the fire and set up for the Dinner.  It was delicious.  We had Brisket, Potato Salad, Baked Beans, Salad, and Dessert.

Yum!

This would be one of the reasons I didn't get on the scales this morning & why I'm going to the Gym as soon as I get finished here.

Anyway, We had a good turnout.  We even ran out of food.  Which is good news for the fire department. 

We got the tables scrubbed down, and the dishes all washed and we were taking our orders from the chief when we got another fire call. I've never seen a room clear out so fast.  I was the only one there that isn't a fireman.  I was left in the dust holding the brownie pan. 

I went home and cleaned up.  I cleaned the kitchen, did some laundry, played with the dog, watched a movie...LB didn't come back.  So, I decided to go down to the station and see what was going on. 

Come to find out the first call at 2:30 was to a car fire that caught the grass on fire.  They worked a couple of hours putting that one out and before they could even get back to the station, they were called out to another fire on the other side of town.  Before it was all over with there were 5 other fire departments helping put the fires out. 

They finally arrived back at the station around 7:30.  They fought fires for almost 8 hours total yesterday.  Luckily we don't have 3 fire calls every day.

So, after the trucks were scrubbed a put back in the bays, I brought home one tired fireman.

It makes me very thankful that we have people who are willing to put their lives in danger to help save the lives and belongings of other people.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

What a day, I swear Amy when I read your post I feel like I'm there. You should write a book, you are so good at explaining things. Love Your Post!!!! Aunt Nana