Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

March 10, 2010

Fishy Business

I have a fish tank. 

One day 2 years ago, walmart was having a sale on fish bowls, and I bought one.  I don't know if it was a moment of insanity, if I momentarily lapsed back into my childhood, or if iI actually thought having a pet fish would be no trouble at all!  But once it was said and done, I came home with a large bowl, florescent tank gravel and one calico goldfish named Petey. 

Despite all the insanity I actually enjoyed having the fish.  I fed him.  Made sure he had the proper lighting. and cleaned the bowl every week. 

Well, LB saw how much I was enjoying the fish and he decided to bring home a 10 gallon fish tank.  Cool! I thought.  I can have more fish.  I set it up, read the instructions, and bought another fish. 

Well, They died!

So, Since I had a nice tank, I needed more fish.  I went to an actual aquarium store and bought more fish.  I came home with 3 zebra fish and one neon fish.  After a while a friend of mine saw that my tank was clean and my fish were living; she took this as the perfecct opportunity to get rid of one of her fish that she had had for years.  It was an algea eater.  He was very old and large.  He was probably 6 inches long. 

Well, my 5 fish lived happily in my tank for 2 years.  Until, Sunday.  On sunday we realized as we were finishing loading the furniture, that we needed to somehow move the fish.  So, I carefully filled 2 ziploc bags with water from the tank and gently caught the 4 small fish and inserted 2 into each ziploc.  I then placed the ziploc bags into an icecream bucket so that they wouldn't get smashed. 

 I then took Fred, the algea eater and put him directly into  another icecream bucket.  That may sound easy, but getting him in the bucket was no easy task.  First, Fred was 6 inches long, and my fish net was only 3 inches wide.  So that didn't work.  Next I tried to scoop him up with a plastic cup.  But Fred was too fast, and he touched me.  (I like to look at fish, and eat fish, but I don't touch fish).  So, my wonderful mother-in-law stepped in.  She took the icecream bucket and moments later had successfully caught Fred.

The fish are now placed safely into the floorboard of LB's pickup and the tank is clean and ready to be set back up.  So we take the fishes to their new home. 

I refill the tank.  Put the gravel and plants back in and release the fish into their new old home.  They love it!  I think.  I'm not really sure, how you can tell.  Anyway...

Operation fish is complete!

The next morning LB gives me a call. 

You guessed it.  The fish died.  All but one lone zebra fish.  He was the only tough one of the group.  Well, Fred was pretty tough, I think I just gave him a heartattack.  (Old Age)

I have officially named him The Survivor!
(give me a break, I'm not that creative with names)

Ahoy Matey(or is that hello?)
Amy


1 comment:

Yakvonn said...

Hello Amy! It's going to be so fun getting to "see" you again & keep in touch! Love the house! Can't wait to see inside! Dying to get together for scrapbooking! Love you!