Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

May 21, 2017

Journey to MD Anderson - Pt. 4

Wow!  What a crazy couple of days!!

So, yesterday (Friday) we had my doctor appointments at MD Anderson.  When the scheduler called to arrange everything, she told me, "We have your appointment scheduled for Friday at 7:30 am.  You need to have 3 to 5 business days set aside for any further testing the doctors might decide to run while your here."  I know!  Crazy right?   So LB and I headed down with plans to stay at least until Monday and possibly into next week.  

So, with that in mind, we headed off to our appointment early Friday morning.  The walk from our hotel to the waiting room was pretty awesome.  (The medical campus was connected by sky bridges from building to building.  They had go-cart shuttles that ran back and forth on one side and walking on the other.) We were very fortunate that our appointment happened to be the first one of the day so we were quickly ushered in to our appointments after a very short wait.  We met my medical team and had several blood test ran.  We then came up with a six week treatment plan that I will be starting here in Oklahoma with my Integris Oncologist.    Landon and I both feel like going to MD was a very good thing and we are excited to be able to work with them and Oklahoma as a team effort to get me back on the road to remission.  

At the end of my visit with the doctor she said "Ok.  I don't need anymore test today.  We're done with you for this visit.  I'd like to see you back in six weeks.  You may go home."  Yippee!  We didn't have to stay through next week!  Landon and I headed back to our hotel.  While we were standing in the elevator we realized that it was only 11:00.  Landon looked at me and said, "Wanna go see the boys?  We can make it back to Oklahoma if we leave right now?"  I was so excited, to get to go home that I had everything packed and we were checked out by noon.  

The drive home wasn't as crazy as the drive down.  We knew a little bit more about what we were doing so it seemed to go quicker.  We did, however, still get caught in slow Dallas traffic, but I think if we do a little bit better planning we'll be able to bypass all that next time.  Everything was going great and we would be arriving at my parent's house around 9:00, until we got into Oklahoma and ran into some bad weather!  It was so crazy!  Both of our phones kept going off for flood warnings and tornado warnings and Val Castor was live following a tornado in Springer and people were calling and texting trying to help us miss the storms!  So we finally just pulled off and packed in under a gas station awning with about 20 other cars and waited out the storm.  Needless to say we didn't make it to Stillwater by 9.  By the time we made it. it was about 11 and the boys, who were waiting up for us, were bouncing off the walls. 

After a lazy morning this morning, we loaded up the boys and headed home.  

We are thankful for all your prayers while we were gone.  I know they were protecting us and comforting us while we were making some difficult decisions. 

Feeling blessed in Oklahoma
Amy


No comments: