Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

April 25, 2011

Still No Rain

Well, we missed the good rain again tonight.  We got enough just to get our hopes up, but not enough to get even a drop out of the rain gauge!

Well, while I was pouting about not getting any more rain, I remembered something I wrote a few years ago when things were not so dry.

I had gone to the farm with LB and well, you can read it for yourself...

I wanted to take them home with me, all the greens of the prairie.  I wanted to bundle them up and sit them on my table for all the world to see.

I moved here four years ago, but it wasn't until this spring, when I was riding the four wheeler with my husband, that the prairie captured my heart.  In the past I had never taken the time to see; really see.  There are so many greens.  So many different hues and shades, some that I didn't even know existed.  Greens that no artist, no matter how wonderful they are, would ever be able to replicate.

It took my breath away, the way the grasses rolled and waved in the wind.  It was an ocean of grass dotted here and there with clusters of yellows and purples instead of white caps.

It's beautiful the way every grass works together to make a picture so wonderful that words could never do it justice.  I don't understand how people don't believe in God after seeing sights like this.  Just look at the feathered ends of the Downy Brome, the structure of the joint grass and the thorny edged leaves of the pig weed.  Look at the way the cattails grow at the edge of the waterways, or how the butterflies flit from flower to flower.  Look at how each little hill rolls and slopes into the next making a beautiful green horizon line that accents the blue sky better than any city scape ever could.

So, sit back and do more than look, see.  See the every day things that God has placed before you to enjoy.  The things that we have grown complacent to and take for granted.

Take a moment and see.

~July 2009  A.L. Jones

No comments: