Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

November 30, 2010

So, I am two months into my pregnancy; and tonight I experienced something that would make any pregnant woman cross her legs and cringe!

Life on the farm is never boring.  Especially for us during this time of year.  Our cows are calving!  Yay!  I love seeing those little boogers running around in the cool air.

Not all of our cows, however, breeze through delivery like we always hope.  There are various things that can happen.  Calves can be breech, legs can be bent preventing proper delivery and then there's the prolapse.  Which is what I experienced tonight.

For those of you who don't know what prolapse is, get ready.  But, before I give you the answer, you should know:  If you are queasy turn away now, if you don't like hearing things about the female anatomy do not read any further.  Now, consider yourselves warned!

A prolapse is when the uterus slips outside the body.

That's right.

I told you if you were queasy to turn away!

Anyway, one of our cows prolapsed tonight.  She is 8 months pregnant and we caught it before we lost the calf or her.  So, how do you fix a prolapsed cow?  Well, this is where it gets interesting.

You push it back in and sew up her vagina.

Ouch!

I really thought about taking pictures and documenting it photographically for you all, but decided against it due to the graphic nature of a prolapse. 

Instead I just watched. 

First, you wash the uterus with warm water.  Then you shove it back in.  Last, you take a needle the size of a pencil and sew up the vagina!

In about three to four weeks, we'll cut the sutures and she'll have a calf.  It's as easy as that!

Unless you're a cow.

Then it's really painful.

1 comment: