Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

February 1, 2011

From picnics to blizzards!

I spent Thursday through Saturday of last week enjoying the beautiful spring like weather.  It was even enough to give me spring fever!  And pull out my flip flops!  And sit outside in my lawn chair with a book!  It was just enough warmth and sun to make me forget my chores and become lazy. 

But, just like any Oklahoma January, weather can and will change overnight.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, it was all over.  My glorious sunny weather was replaced with a cloudy, windy, and chilly day.  The cold front had come in!  Hopefully it would bring the much needed moisture with it.

So, Monday night as we lay snuggled in our bed, the wind began to howl, and the snow began to blow.  The temperature dropped rapidly and the wind chill was below zero.  Then, about 12:30, my crazy haired dog, decided that he needed to go potty.  My wonderful husband generously volunteered to stand out in the wind while my cute little puppy took care of his business.  The wind was blowing so strong, that I don't know how my 15 pound dog didn't blow away!

School was canceled, so I was one of the fortunate ones that got to stay home.  And, I have learned that snow days have the same effect on me as Spring weather.  It took me several hours to convince myself that there were other things I could be doing with my time, other than watching people in The City struggle with travel.  Although some of the footage was pretty humorous.  Why would anyone in Oklahoma own a snowmobile? I don't know either, but there was a guy riding one around the City according to Channel 9. 

Anyway, the sun began to shine in Western Oklahoma around 2:30 this afternoon.  The storm was over.  Once it was all said and done, we only received about 3" of snow.  But, the wind blew so hard that most of the snow ended up in drifts.  Some of the drifts I have seen from my windows could probably measure 4' tall.  There's not much snow anywhere else in my yard other than right where the drifts formed.  Unfortunately, this is the same thing that occurred on our wheat fields.  The fields are so flat, that the snow just blows right over and drifts into the ditches.  But, every little bit helps.  The little bits of snow that stuck to the wheat, is better than nothing at all.

I wanted to take pictures for you all, but my house was so nice and warm, that I only ventured out once today and that was after dark with LB to wish a special someone a happy birthday.  So, if the wind doesn't blow tomorrow, I'll snap a few pictures to share.

Until then,

Amy

No comments: