Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

October 3, 2010

Fajita Recipe

When I started this blog, I never intended to blog about recipes. But, my wonderful husband told me the other day, that I should post my fajita recipe.  This recipe is his favorite.  I cook it at least twice a month.  So, on behalf of my husband; here is my fajitas.

Disclaimer:  Some of these pictures are yellow.  I have bad lighting in my kitchen after dark.  And it's hard to take pictures of yourself without a tripod.

The Ingredients:

You need steak.  Any kind of steak will work. The above is club steak, but round steak and tenderloin are my favorite to use in this recipe.  Usually figure one steak per person.

The Fajita Marinade:  oil (not pictured), red wind vinegar, sugar, oregano leaves, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

One yellow, red and green pepper. And one onion.

And butter.  Don't forget the butter!

There are 3 Steps to Making the Fajitas:

First:  Make the marinade.  The measurements I'm giving you are for a 2 serving size recipe.  You'll want a little juice left over when you're finished, so don't skimp on this. Sometimes I double it if my two steaks are big. If you're using 3 steaks, go ahead and double the measurements. 
1/4 C. Oil                    
1/4 C. Red Wine Viegar
1 t. Sugar
1 t. Oregano Leaves 
1 t. Chili Powder 
1/2 t. Garlic Powder  
1/2 t. Salt 
1/4 t. Pepper

Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
I like to make this very first so that all the ingredients have time to mix well with each other.


Second:  Cook the Vegetables. 
Melt a couple Tablespoons butter in a pan over medium-low heat.

Slice the peppers.

Add them to the melted butter and cover.

Do the same for the green pepper and...

The Red Peppers.

Add them to the skillet as you get them cut.

Add another tablespoon of butter and cover.

Slice the onion in half.  Put the other half back in the refridgerator.  You'll only need half. 

Slice it.

And add it to the skillet.

Now reduce the heat to the lowest and cover.  Stir it occasionally so that nothing will burn.  These should be nice and tender by the time the meat is cooked.  Yum!

Third:  Cook the meat.
In another skillet, over medium heat, add a few tablespoons of butter.  I like for my butter to become brown before I add the meat.

Cut all large veins of fat off your steaks.  Some of the marbling is ok.  You just want the large pieces out of the way for when you are cutting your steaks into fajita strips.

Cutting against the grain, cut your steaks intto 1/4 inch strips.

Sprinkle on some unseasoned meat tenderizor.

Add to the skillet of melted butter.

After a few minutes flip your steak. 

Once the meat juices run clear add your marinade.

Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
*If you want, you can add your sauteed veggies to the mixture, but I don't like to do this.  Everyone can choose how much veggies they want on their tortillas this way.  Plus left overs reheat better with out the veggies mixed in.

Finally:
Set out the condiments and ring the dinnerbell, because...

It's ready to enjoy!

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Amy you make this look so easy, I might actually try it. The finished product looks good. Sure enjoyed seeing you all this week end.

Yakvonn said...

I am sooooooo gonna' try this recipe!!!

Cathy said...

Looks yummy!! What was the recipe you told me to try. It was a pasta recipe, but I can't remember what it was!