Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

June 11, 2010

Harvest #3

LB's favorite job during harvest is driving the combine.  That's all he wants to do.  Which means that if I'm going to see him at all during this time, then I get to ride in the combine.  I really enjoy riding in the combine too.  I especially enjoy my seat; I get to set on top of the water jug.  I even have a small pillow that fits right on top so that my hiney doesn't hurt as bad after a couple of hours.  Just don't ever forget the pillow, the water jug leaks!


This is a picture of the combine header from inside the cab of the combine.  The paddles push the wheat into the sickles where the heads are cut off and augured into the combine to be thrashed.  The grain is then moved into the bin of the combine and the left over straw and trash is blown out the back of the combine.



See the grain heaped up on top?

Once the combine is full, the wheat needs to be dumped out so that the combine can go back to the field to cut more.  The wheat is dumped onto either a grain cart or a semi trailer.  We dump onto the semi trailer until it's full.  Once it's full the truck is taken to the elevator.  So then, we dump onto the grain cart while the truck is gone.  We do this so that we don't have to stop and wait until someone gets back with the truck.

I love climbing up where The Mechanic is and watching the wheat being augured.


 
See those beautiful golden grains?





Once the truck is full, it is tarped and taken to the elevator.


The End

Well, not really, there's a lot more about harvest that I haven't told you yet. 
It'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Amy

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Wow Amy that is so interesting. And to think I lived next door and ran around in Lahoma with wheat farmers. I never knew any of this, they used to tell me the wheat was not dry enough and I was like thinking it did not rain last night so what are you talking about. Now I know that even the dew causes delays. Thanks for sharing all this, I love it. Aunt Nana