Wheat Field Cut For Hay

Wheat Field Cut For Hay

June 21, 2010

Burning Wheat Stubble

This is what we did this weekend!

We burned the wheat stubble of one of our fields this weekend.  We don't burn our fields every year.  It is only something we do for maintenance.  Burning the fields helps clean them up.  Any seeds from things we don't want in our fields, like rye or oats, gets burned.
 
We plowed around the field first, this creates a barrier to stop the fire from going to the next field.

LB strapped the torch to the front of the 4-wheeler.



And away we went!


We burn at night so that we can see if the fires spread somewhere they're not supposed to be.


Don't worry, I was tucked safely away in the tractor with The Mechanic.


Now, I admit, there were times when I was white knuckled inside that tractor. 

 
Even though I was nervous from time to time, I was glad I went with the guys.  It's definately a sight to see.


1 comment:

Peggy said...

Those are awesome pictures. Sam has always wanted to burn his pasture, but we never had the guts!!!!